Florida Title Processing Information

Click here to return to Heritage for the Blind

I've got the title in front of me now where do I sign?:

You release ownership of the vehicle signing on line 3 in the bottom left corner of the title. If there is an active lien on the vehicle, the lien holder must sign and date the title on line 1 in the "Lien Release" section. 

In order to release the liability of the vehicle you will need to fill out the Notice of Sale and submit it to your local county tax collector's office within 30 days of the vehicle's sale. This act makes it illegal for the buyer to operate the vehicle on public roads until it's properly titled and registered in his or her name.

I'm the registered owner but I can't find my title:

Duplicate Title: The registered owner of the vehicle can apply for a duplicate title by completing the duplicate title form. If there is or was a lien on the vehicle you will need proof that the lien is paid. The electronic duplicate title fee is $75.25. The paper copy fee is $2.50 and if you need a lien record there will be an additional $2.00 fee. This process will take 5 days after which time you will receive your duplicate title in the mail. If this process isn't fast enough for you, you can go to your local county clerk's office and fill out the application in person. 

TL-70 Abandonment: If you are not able to attain a negotiable title or the paperwork for a duplicate title, a Salvage Rebuildable or Certificate of Destruction can be obtained through the TL-07 Abandonment title procedure. IAA uses the services of a title company to complete most of the ABAN procedure. We require written notification on Provider letterhead, including the year, make, model, and VIN, requesting the TL-07 procedure along with proof of ownership (copy front and back of the cashed settlement check). If you have been able to obtain a lien release, we would require this as well. The Title Service runs a VIN check on the state computer and sends mailings
to the owner(s) and certified mailings to the lien holder (if applicable). If the lien is 5 years or more years old and the certified mailing comes back from the lien holder unclaimed, a lien release is not needed; if the lien is
less than 5 years old, a lien release is required or a court order must be obtained. Once all the paperwork is in order, it is sent to the DMV for the issuance of a title.

If you want to donate your vehicle, but you don't have the title and do not wish to go through the process of obtaining one, we can take care of the title process for you. All you need to do is fill out a completed Florida Secure Powers of Attorney signed by all owners listed on the title (when applying for a duplicate title for a vessel, we would need 2 Florida Secure POAs) and a Lien Release (if applicable). When you are finished filling out these forms you'll just need to hang onto them until the tow agent comes to pick them up.

The owner of the vehicle is deceased:

In the case of the death of an owner with a surviving spouse: The ownership would legally transfer to the spouse without the presence of a will or other legal document. We will need a certified copy of the death certificate and a properly signed title by the spouse.

 In the case of a probated estate: You'll need a certified copy of the death certificate, probate papers from the court or a certified copy of a will and a properly signed title by the executor of the estate.

The vehicle was abandoned on my property:

In most cases we can still pick up the vehicle, if we need paperwork from you it will be in the form of your signature on a short document describing the location where the vehicle was left and your request for us to remove it.